Pizza is a very popular dish all around the world. It looks great, smells amazing and tastes awesome! But let’s not get too carried away, because there is a huge problem i’m sure we are all well aware of – it’s often very unhealthy and crushes any chance of maintaining and losing body fat. Despite this, pizza can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet and fat loss program – it all depends on how it is prepared and the ingredients used.
Pizza is an Italian legacy, once prepared with care, passion and natural nutrition in mind. It has now been adopted by the fast food industry and mostly present in takeaway restaurants or the frozen food section of the supermarket.
The problem with this is the manner in which it is prepared. Thick white flour base excessive in high glycemic carbohydrates, often deep pan fried allowing the crust to soak up a mass of oils and grease.
This is then topped with processed items such as meats and cheese high in fat and low in protein. You get the picture, right? It’s all in the preparation.
There’s no need to deprive yourself of this great food any longer. Preparing your very own pizza with fresh wholesome ingredients means pizza can be enjoyed by everyone without piling on the pounds or affecting your exercise performance. You can make this pizza quicker than the time it takes to order one.
- 1x Wholegrain Gluten Free Flat Bread or Wrap (approx 10×7 inches)
- 2 tablespoons of 100% tomato puree (evenly spread)
- 30 grams of low fat cheddar cheese (evenly spread)
- 1/2 Bell Pepper (red, green, yellow or orange – finally chopped)
- 1 Cup / 3 Large Pieces of Broccoli (finely chopped and evenly spread)
- Handful of Spinach (Chopped and evenly spread)
- 5 Baby Tomatoes (Sliced into 1/4)
- 120 grams Chicken Breast
- You can swap or add any fibrous vegetable based on your preference.
- You can add or swap any lean meat for the chicken based on your preference.
- It’s fun to be creative.
- It’s easy to go over board on the cheese – just keep it under control.
- Onions and mushrooms can be added if you wish.
1. Evenly spread the tomato puree onto your flatbread with a spreading knife, aim to completely cover the whole base with the puree.
2. Grate 30 grams of low fat cheddar cheese and sprinkle evenly across the base and over the tomato puree. You can keep some to the side if you would prefer to sprinkle on the top once the entire pizza is prepared.
3. Finally chop 1/2 bell pepper (any colour), finely chop brocolli, finely chop handful of spinach and finally chop cherry tomatoes and spread evenly across the whole base. There is no need to pre cook these vegetables as the will cook just fine in the oven, lay them on the base raw.
4. Place the freshly prepared pizza into the oven and cook on gas mark 5 for approximately 15 minutes (keep checking it to make sure it doesn’t overcook/burn).
5. If you would like to increase the protein content of this meal you can add 120 grams of chicken breast. Slice the chicken breast into small pieces and pre cook in the oven on gas mark 5 for approx 20 minutes (keep checking, the finer the slices the quicker it will cook). Place the pizza in the oven 5 to 10 minutes after the chicken has entered and they will be cooked at the same time.
6. Once your chicken has cooked evenly spread it on top of the pizza.
Benefits of this Recipe
This recipe isn’t named Power Pizza for nothing! It is packed with vitamins and minerals, protein and a small amount of low glycemic carbohydrate – meaning the energy is released over prolonged periods to increase satiety. Topped with leafy greens such as broccoli and spinach you will be getting a rich source of minerals including iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium and vitamins, including vitamins K, C, E, and many of the B vitamins. Along with this you can expect a variety of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, zeaxanthin and leutin, which protect our cells from damage.
Its the perfect meal for the athlete and exercise enthusiast looking for that feel good factor and performance boost whilst avoiding the deprivation of one of their favourite foods.
Enjoy Homemade Power Pizza