What are the health benefits of cherries? What are the nutrition benefits of Cherries? What are cherries good for? These are the questions we answer in this blog post about one of the tastiest and most enjoyable thin skinned fruits available to us today.
Cherries are loaded with health and nutritional benefits. They stand tall with many other foods commonly referred to as a superfood. They contain a wealth of antioxidants offering significant medicinal value and anti-inflammatory properties such as boosting recovery from exercise, fighting cancer, reducing the effects of ageing.Cherries boost recovery from exercise, fight cancer and reduce the effects of ageingClick To Tweet
What are the health benefits of Cherries?
Cherries are anti-inflammatory
A potent amount of antioxidants means that cherries can help to reduce the effects of inflammation around the body. This is useful information for those looking to reduce the effects of exercise and physical activity by reducing muscle soreness and speeding up the recovery process.
Studies have shown positive results in athletes that have drank tart cherry juice after exercise and competition to help reduce inflammation, decrease soreness and speed up recovery. (1)
Cherries help to improve sleep quality
Especially the sour kind! These are one of few fruits that can help to boost relaxation and sleep quality due to their generous supply of the phytochemical melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that plays an important role in your sleep cycle and the regeneration of your body.
This, in addition to the effects of reduced inflammation, can help to promote sound sleep. A glass of tart cherry juice before bed may help to regulate a better sleep pattern and increased relaxation (2).
Cherries can help to regulate blood sugar
Cherries may be a useful addition in the diet of those managing diabetes due to their abundant offering of anthocyanins (the pigments that create the vibrant red colours), which helps to increase insulin production. Improved insulin production can lead to improved regulation of blood sugar levels (3).
Top Tips for buying Cherries
- Choose them when they are most fresh and in season.
- Buy organic for the most nutritional value and best condition.
- Remove the seed and freeze them to trap in the nutritional value and use all year round.
- Choose the sour kind as they have the highest levels of antioxidants.
Top Tips for Including Cherries in your diet
- You can add them to all kinds of delicious recipes. They will maintain their medicinal value even if heated so we don’t need to worry about this. One recipe you could add them to would be the banana omelette – a food and fitness favourite!
- Dried types can be added to yoghurt or home made protein balls!
- This awesome little fruit makes the perfect addition to any smoothie – boosting the taste and the nutritional value at the same time!
Top health benefits of cherries round up
- Can help to promote sleep and relaxation.
- Can help to increase insulin production and control blood sugar levels.
- Can reduces post exercise inflammation and soreness.